Wednesday 31 October 2007

Chinbin (Okinawan-style crepe)


We have some kinds of crepes in Okinawa, but today I'm going to write about a sweet crepe called Chinbin. It is very simple, but really tasty. I have never made it from scratch and always use this packet mix. There are only simple ingredients in the mix: wheat flour, Glutinous riceflour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. I just add water to the mix, and then fry it as you would any other crepe mix.
Our crepe has a distinctive brown sugar flavour and tastes really nice. We commonly use brown sugar which is much more nutritious than refined white sugar. (we grow sugarcane, and brown sugar is one of the popular souvenirs from Okinawa.)
When I make Chinbin from scratch, I will write a recipe for it, so you can try :-)

No comments: